Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Harry Reid at BYU


I amused myself today by reading some of the comments on both The Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News web pages regarding Harry Reid's speech at the campus of Brigham Young University. It is interesting to me that many people cannot accept someone being Mormon and being Democrat. I understand it from both perspectives and here is my two cents.


I have been a member of the LDS church all my life and will continue to be until the day I die. I have also been a member of the Democratic party for years. I agree with them on social programs to help the poor and the elderly, protection of the environment, stances on public education, gun control and the war in Iraq. I also agree with them on two issues that often turn member of my religion to the opposite political party. However, I lean to the left on these two issues not because I completely agree with the Democrats, but because I believe more in their side.


Issue #1- Abortion. Now the LDS church came out a few years ago and stated that in certain cases abortion could be considered an option. Not that it should be the first option, but it could at least be considered. These cases included rape, incest and if the mother's life was in jeopardy. I follow that statement with this addition. It is not my place to go into a woman's life and a woman's family and tell her what decisions she should make. If a friend was in a precarious situation and was looking at options, I would definitely steer her toward adoption instead. However, in the end it is her choice to make and not mine. Therefore, I am pro choice. Not pro abortion but pro choice.


Issue #2- Gay Marriage. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. My church teaches that and I agree. However, I do not agree with a federal amendment to the constitution that emphasizes that. One of my best friends in the world is gay. I first met him when Amendment 3 was on the ballot here in Utah. I could not vote for that amendment and then look my friend in the eye and say, "I'm sorry. You're not entitled to the same rights as me. You're just not as important." I couldn't do that and I will never do that. I feel that gays and lesbians deserve some of the rights of marriage (inheritance, visitation rights, insurance, etc.) without the legal certificate. Now like I said, I do have strong beliefs in the sanctity of marriage. But, I also believe that everyone is entitled to the same rights as individuals, regardless of sexual preference. So I am a firm supporter of civil unions.


I personally applaud Harry Reid for his speech down at B.Y.U. and for everything he is doing in the Senate for our country. Now am I going to get a lot of flack for that....yes. But, like I said, I have never had a point in my life where I felt my religious beliefs and my political beliefs infringed on each other. So I will continue to fight and stand up for them both.


C

1 comment:

Frank Staheli said...

You won't get any flack from me! Thanks for your article. People can be from various political parties and spectrums and still be good members of the LDS church (or any church for that matter). Heck I think political parties are one good way for us to REALLY learn to love and understand our neighbor.

It was a great speech. I agreed with some of his statements but not with others. I share your sentiments on abortion with the additional statement that abortion should always be prayerfully considered and chosen after all other options have been thought about.

I don't agree with you about social sanction of homosexual unions, but I also think that Christians can't be good Christians and treat homosexuals the way many of them do.

I went to Harry Reid's forum presentation, and here's what I wrote about it.