Saturday, October 6, 2007

Creative Process in Progress



My family and I saw "Paint Your Wagon" tonight up at Pioneer Theatre. During intermission I walked around out in the cool, crisp October air staring at the stars, the trees and the dark navy sky above me. As I was walking, a few lines starting playing in my head, song lyrics if you were. Normally, I always carry a writing utensil with me and a small note pad so as words pop into my head I can plot them down on paper. However, I kept replaying the lyrics over and over in my head during the second act of the show so I wouldn't forget them. When we made it back to the car, we sat in the parking lot for almost 20 minutes as I wrote my poem down on one of the pages of my program.

I've written close to 1000 poems over the past 10 years. Often times I try and make a character for the song I'm writing. Who are they? What is their name? What do they look like? Where do they come from? And most importantly- what do they want to say? I love telling stories and sharing a side of the world that perhaps people either fail to see or just fail to recognize. There's a reason why I earned a degree in journalism. I love using my words to tell the stories of other people. What's great about song writing is that I can create whatever character I want and tell whatever story I want. Now, I just need to find someone to help me write the music.

So on that note here is my latest creation, hot off the presses, for your reading enjoyment.

Catch you on the flip side.

C

"What they say makes perfect sense, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it
Suddenly I'm on defensive even as I've finally found it
So much more for me to see, so much more for me to learn
And I've been waiting patiently, as the whole world takes its turn
When will it be my turn? Can't it be now?
Now that I've met you, now that I love you, how can I let you go?
Now that I know you, now that I"m holding you, how can I let you go?
Never understood how a night could last a lifetime
Shows how much I really don't know
Or how a day could seem to never have an ending
Tell me where does the time go?
Now that I adore you, no one else before you, has ever made me feel this way
Now that my life has finally begun, do I just throw it all away
Now that I love you, now that I love you
Never dreamed that a night could last a lifetime
And though there isn't much to show
When I awake in the morning
My heart and soul will already know
That now that I adore you, no one else before you, has ever made me feel this way
Now that my life has just begun, must I throw it all away
Now that I love you, now that I love you

Now that I love you, I will never let you go"

No comments: