Thursday, November 13, 2014

Ditching The Scale- Worth Its "Weight" in Gold :)

I’ve struggled with weight all my life.  That may surprise some people- but for me it’s been about the correlation to my weight and my self-worth, self-image, self-confidence, self-esteem and self-respect. Growing up I was very slender.  Because I danced a lot- and my metabolism kicked in at a very early age, I had a more relaxed eating habit and was moving quite a bit.   In junior high though, I dealt with some of the same societal pressures and expectations many of our young women face today. This crazy idea stating the only way boys will like you, the only way you’ll make friends, the only you’ll feel successful, the only way you’ll feel beautiful, the only way you hold any value is if you fit a certain pre-determined size and shape.  If you don’t fall in this unrealistic and often unattainable cookie cutter image, you failed. Not only that, but you have to work twice as hard and spend twice as much money to reach this impossible goal and “ideal.” And even then, someone will find something wrong with you and determine you can’t be part of this “elite” club- thereby leaving you with feelings of denial and anger and bitterness and discouragement and self-loathing.  Sad thing is- these “ideals” and these feelings don’t go away as you get older- if anything- they get even worse.

Like I said before, I’ve always been slender.  But in the past couple of years, I realized (the hard way I might add), my metabolism doesn’t work the same way it used to. My hips and waist and thighs aren’t the same size they used to be. There are parts of my body which jiggle which never jiggled before. There are parts of my body which touch that never touched before. There are certain outfits I can’t wear right now, certain articles of clothing which won’t fit over my hips or shoulders.  There are certain sizes I never thought I’d have to shop for, but that’s what I’m shopping for.  And for some women, myself included, they may look at these things and think “what’s wrong with me? why can’t I look like everyone else? Why can’t I look like I did in high school? Why can’t I weigh what my driver’s license says I weigh?” (not like we’ve never lied about THAT before- LOL.)”  Unfortunately, some of us believe our value and our worth comes from what size we are or what our measurements are.

Now last year, after realizing I’d gained about 25 pounds- I talked with my doctor at a physical and she suggested going on the South Beach Diet to try and trim away some of the pounds and inches. I did it for about two months. The weight fell off like crazy. And I’ll be straight up- it was kind of nice hearing comments like ‘you look fantastic!” or “I’m so proud of you” or “I can tell you’ve been working hard” or “your waist is so tiny!” I’m not saying losing weight is a bad thing- I’m not saying you shouldn’t work hard if that’s a goal you set for yourself.  Like I said, I felt good hearing some of these comments- and because I made the decision MYSELF to lose the weight- it was a good motivator for me. Now some of those healthy eating habits I discovered and dedicated myself to haven’t been as strong for me the past little while. And I’ve gained some of that weight back.  And I get frustrated when I put pants on which don’t fit. Or when I get out of the shower- see myself in the mirror and don’t like the image staring back at me. But I realized something the other day.  Often times, there is so much pressure to be thin, skinny, slender, lean- whatever. I feel like there isn’t as much emphasis on being “healthy.”  Think about it. How many times do you see billboards or hear ads on either the radio or television or read something in a magazine and it talks about “we will help you develop healthy eating habits” or “let us help you create a fitness plan right for your age and body type” or “let us help you feel better about yourself regardless of your size.” I don’t know about the rest of you- but often times, all I hear or see is “we’ll help shave off those pounds and inches- call us today for a laser treatment” or some kind of sculpting or an out-patient procedure of some kind.  And I also see the “pinnacles” of feminine beauty as being size 2 sticks who barely have enough skin to cover their bones.  I think Calvin Klein is currently facing heat over that very issue- with their “plus size” model who is a size 10.  (Note to Calvin Klein- that’s actually the “normal” size for many women- especially the women you are trying to reach.) Rather than trying to teach people behaviors and actions which they can carry the rest of their life-  society is pushing all these “quick fixes” to make every woman look just like everyone else. Even diets- and yes I had success with South Beach and I’m not saying diets don’t work- but how many diets actually teach women how to keep weight off and still be healthy- rather than just losing pounds quickly?

There isn’t anything wrong with being a size 2. There isn’t anything wrong with getting one of those procedures or going to one of those places. There isn’t anything wrong with going to the gym 5 days a week or following a diet’s strict or loose guidelines. My only point is to ask the question- “why are we doing it?” and again- I’m guilty of this myself. Do we do this all because we WANT to? Because we feel like it will make us happier? Because we feel like it will make us prettier? Because we feel like it will make us healthier? Why is it so many people have a new year’s resolution to lose weight? Because they are medically obese and they need to lose inches and pounds to prevent any future issues? Because they have a BMI which puts them in the overweight column and that’s a place they don’t want to be? Because they want to be able to fit into their favorite outfits again or wear that sexy dress to the holiday party? Why is it as summer approaches I always see commercials telling women “get a bikini or beach ready body in blank amount of days?”  Why aren’t there are more commercials saying something like “feel comfortable and confident in your own skin and come find a swimming suit which will be perfect for your body type- no matter what it is.” I have a bikini- and I wore it this summer (albeit once.) Do I have the picture perfect beach bunny body? Heck no. Do I have a bit of a muffin top right now? yes. But you know what? I put on that swimsuit, went to a friend’s birthday party, slid down their water slide and had an absolute blast. Because I wasn’t worried about how I might look or what people might think about how I looked. I was there to have fun.

Again, I’m not trying to point fingers or make anyone feel bad for their own eating or exercise habits- or non-habits. Like I said, I’ve been on both sides of this.  I’ve been the thin tadpole- and now I’m the fuller frog. (warts and all- LOL.) Yet, I don’t base my own self-image or self-confidence or self-worth on my size.  Will I ever be the size I was in high school? Probably not. Will I ever be the size I was in college? Maybe. Will I ever be able to wear the collection of suits and shirts and skirts currently hanging in my closet which won’t fit over parts of my body? Maybe. And if I’m not able to ever fit into them again- that’s okay. Our bodies change as we get older and go through life changing experiences. You have kids, your body is going to change. You become sexually active- your body is going to change. You have a full time job where you sit all the time- your body is going to change. And even just going from year to year- your body changes. There isn’t anything wrong with that. If you currently are at a size or a shape you don’t like- maybe ask yourself- why don’t I like it? Do I think I’m too fat? Too skinny? Or, are there things I can do to make myself healthier? If I lose inches and pounds because of it- good. If I gain a higher sense of self and learn to love myself for it- better. I’m currently trying to eat better and exercise more- but I’m also not stepping on a scale at all this time around. I’m simply working to make myself healthy and not worry about what my “numbers” are.

Guess what- I wore a size 12 skirt to my brother’s wedding. You can see that I have hips and a butt in some of the pictures. But I also was told a lot how beautiful I looked that day. Because at the end of the day- it’s not our outside beauty which makes us shine- which makes us the people we are. Our true beauty comes from our spirits, our smiles, our souls, our eyes and our hearts.  Be happy with who you are- no matter what you look like. Be happy with who you are- no matter your size or shape. Be happy with you are- no matter what others may think or feel. Be happy with who you are- no matter the number. Be happy with who you are- imperfections, love handles, stretch marks and all. And if you do want to improve yourself- do it because YOU want to, not because you feel you HAVE to.  At the end of the day though- remember you are GORGEOUS- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. :D

No comments: